Cedral Cladding FAQ's
Frequently Asked Questions
1. WHAT'S THE LIFE EXPECTANCY OF CEDRAL?
Cedral weatherboards have a minimum life expectancy of 50 years
2. CAN CEDRAL PLANKS BE REPAINTED?
Cedral planks should not require re-painting, however if you decide to change the Cedral colour or repaint, please refer to our fixing guide.
3. WHAT TO DO IN CASE OF IMPACT ON A CEDRAL PLANK?
If an impact occurs on a plank after its installation.
- If the impact is minor (less than a few millimetres): you can use Cedral touch-up paint to hide the impact.
4. WHAT IS CEDRAL’S FIRE RESISTANCE?
Cedral planks have limited combustibility and therefore does not spread fire (Class 0 and EN 13501-1 fire performance classified to A2-s1, d0).
5. IS IT AN INSULATION MATERIAL?
Cedral planks are not insulating in themselves.
In order to obtain a satisfactory insulation, you should include insulating material behind the Cedral.
6. WHAT ARE CEDRAL WEATHERBOARDS MADE OF?
Cedral planks are composed of fibre-cement.
This material is made up of cement, water and cellulose fibres.
It enables Cedral weatherboards to be rot-resistant, fire-resistant and resistant against all weather (rain, wind, snow, UV...).
7. HOW LONG DOES CEDRAL LAST OVER TIME?
Cedral cladding is made up of fibre-cement, which is particularly stable over time with a minimum life expectancy of 50 years.
8. IS IT AN ENVIRONMENTALLY-FRIENDLY MATERIAL?
The Etex group is committed to reducing its environmental impact.
To do this, we are setting up different programmes in order to change our practices and meet the environmental necessities of our times.
For example, more than 80% of the raw materials used by our manufacturing plant are transported by inland waterways to reduce our carbon footprint and decrease the number of lorries on the roads.
9. WHY DOES CEDRAL NEED TO BE VENTILATED?
Cedral is installed to the ventilated rainscreen principle. This means the air can flow in at the base, behind the cladding and then out over the top.
The airflow behind the Cedral weatherboard enables the system to remove moisture. Impeding this process could lead to moisture problems within the system.
10. WHAT MAINTENANCE DOES CEDRAL NEED?
Maintenance for Cedral weatherboards is very simple compared to other materials: for minor soiling, clean with soft household detergent or slightly soapy water, then rinse with clean water.
11. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE WITH PVC?
Cedral weatherboards do not expand in heat, they are more resistant and therefore more stable over time.
In addition, Cedral’s Class 0 and EN 13501-1 fire performance classified to A2-s1, d0 fire classification enables it not to spread fire.
12. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE WITH OTHER FIBRE-CEMENT WEATHERBOARDS?
As Cedral is thicker (10 mm), the weatherboards are more shock resistant.
As Cedral planks are 190 mm wide, you can install up to 10 planks less per 100 m².
13. ARE THE PROFILES THE SAME COLOUR AS THE WEATHERBOARDS?
Yes, the profiles are available in the entire colour range (except woodstain).
14. CAN I STORE THE WEATHERBOARDS OUTSIDE?
No - Cedral needs to be stored under cover and on the pallets which they were supplied on..
15. DO YOU HAVE TO PLACE AN INSULATING MATERIAL BEHIND CEDRAL?
Yes if you wish to increase the thermo-efficiency of your home.
16. HOW CAN I CLEAN CEDRAL?
Cedral can be cleaned with a solution of clean water with 10% white vinegar added.
For light soiling, cleaning with soft household detergent or slightly soapy water, followed by rinsing with clean water is sufficient.
17. HOW DO YOU CUT CEDRAL?
Cut with a tungsten tipped blade of 36 teeth on a 180mm diameter blade is recommended for cutting. Also with this method, cutting from the back of the board is advisable as the saw guide leaves marks across the board surface. Test cutting is recommended.
After cutting, wipe away dust with a clean, dry cloth.
Note: Cutting and drilling must take place in a dry and well ventilated environment
18. HOW DO I CALCULATE HOW MANY PLANKS I NEED?
1.725 boards per M2 for Cedral Lap
1.6 boards per M2 for Cedral Click
19. HOW THICK IS CEDRAL?
10 mm for Cedral Lap, 12 mm for Cedral Click.
20. HOW MUCH DOES CEDRAL WEIGH PER M2 ?
Cedral Lap weighs 19.3Kg/m2 and Cedral Click weighs 17.8Kg/m2
21. HOW LONG ARE CEDRAL WEATHERBOARDS?
Cedral weatherboards are 3600 mm long.