What is fibre cement cladding?
Fibre cement cladding is a popular building material made from cement, sand, and cellulose fibres. It is known for its durability, strength, and resistance to moisture and fire. This article explores fibre cement cladding in more depth and will help you understand what it is made from, how to install and its benefits.
What is Fibre Cement Cladding?
Fibre cement cladding is a type of cladding that is made from a mixture of cement, sand, and cellulose fibres. The mixture is then compressed and moulded into boards or sheets that can be used to cover the exterior of a building. Fibre cement cladding is popular because it is durable, strong, and can withstand harsh weather conditions.
How long does it last?
Fibre cement cladding is known for its durability and can last up to 50 years or more with proper maintenance. The cladding is resistant to moisture, rot, and insect damage, which helps to extend its lifespan. Additionally, fibre cement cladding is fire-resistant, which makes it a popular choice for buildings in areas prone to wildfires.
What are the benefits of fibre cement cladding?
There are several benefits to using fibre cement cladding on your building:
- It is a low-maintenance material that requires very little upkeep.
- It is more durable and long-lasting than traditional wood cladding.
- Unlike wood cladding, which needs to be painted or stained regularly, fibre cement cladding can be left unpainted and will not fade over time.
- Fibre cement cladding is an eco-friendly choice made from sustainable materials.
- It is also resistant to mould and mildew, which can be a common problem with other types of cladding.
- Fibre cement cladding is fire-resistant, which makes it a safer choice for buildings in areas prone to wildfires.
Is it easy to install?
Fibre cement cladding is relatively easy to install, especially compared to other cladding types. The boards or sheets are lightweight, which makes them easy to handle and transport. They can be cut to size using standard cutting tools and installed using nails or screws. However, it is recommended that you hire a professional to install the cladding, as they will have the necessary skills and tools to ensure that the installation is done correctly.
If you are considering using fibre cement cladding on your building, choosing a high-quality product designed to withstand harsh weather conditions and last for many years is important. With proper installation and maintenance, fibre cement cladding can be an excellent choice for your building's exterior. If this article has left you with more questions, we are here to help, whether that is for advice or guidance on your next build or just some help with how much cladding you need for your project.