A Guide to Measuring and Estimating Decking for Your Home Improvement Project
When it comes to enhancing your outdoor living space, installing decking is a popular choice among homeowners. However, before you dive into the exciting world of deck design and construction, it's crucial to take accurate measurements and estimate the amount of decking material required for your project. In this blog post, we will walk you through these two key steps when determining the amount of decking you need for your project.
1. Measuring the Decking Area:
The first step in any decking project is to measure the area where the decking will be installed. Outline the space and define the boundaries of the deck using string and stakes; this will give you a clear visual representation of the area.
- Square or Rectangular Decks: Measure the length and width of the area using a tape measure and multiply these two measurements together to calculate the total square footage.
- Irregular-Shaped Decks: Divide it into smaller, more manageable sections, measure each section separately, calculate the square footage, and add them together to get the total area.
2. Determining Decking Material Requirements:
Once you have the total square footage of your deck, the next step is to determine how much decking material you'll need. You will need to think about the following points:
- Decking Board Size: Decide on the size of the decking boards you plan to use. Typical options include 2x4, 2x6, or 5/4x6 boards. Check with your supplier for available options.
- Allowances for Gaps: To ensure proper drainage and ventilation, leave a small gap (around 1/8 to 1/4 inch) between each decking board. Account for this gap when calculating the number of boards needed.
- Waste Factor: It's wise to account for waste due to cutting and trimming. A general rule of thumb is to add 10% to 15% to your total material estimate to compensate for waste.
- Considerations for Patterned Decks: Additional calculations and material requirements may be necessary if you plan to create patterns with your decking boards. Consult with your supplier or a professional deck builder for guidance.
Accurate measurement and estimation are key elements when installing decking for your home. By carefully measuring the area and calculating material requirements, you can ensure a smooth and successful decking project and save lots of money. Remember, proper planning and preparation will ultimately result in a beautiful outdoor space you can enjoy for years.